Wednesday 31 August 2016

ADAPTED: A SCHOOLGIRL’S CONFESSION: HOW I WAS GANG-RAPED (BY MY CLASSMATES) & IMPREGNATED!

The Antenatal Care Unit of one of the Lagos State General Hospitals was quiet save for the snores of a young girl who was very deep in sleep.

She sat on one of the long benches and rested her head on her folded arms, which she was using like a pillow - her arms were placed on the back-rest of a bench at her front.


She was asleep all the while the Chief midwife lectured the expectant mothers (pregnant women) that had gathered at the Unit for the 'weekly lecture' on 'pregnancy and baby care guide'.

After the lecture, the pregnant women left for their various homes while the girl was left all alone to continue in her sleep.

One of the smartly dressed midwives looked up and noticed her - she walked gently towards the girl and tapped her lightly on her shoulder in order to wake her up.

“Hello, young girl...” the midwife said softly but muffled her words in shock when she realised the girl was PREGNANT!

She was very shocked because she thought the girl had accompanied one of the pregnant women to the Antenatal Care Unit but was left behind when she slept off.

The midwife took time to examine her appearance and was almost in tears when she saw how ‘uncared for’ she was - she was looking particularly frail with hairs that were rough and unplaited; her skin was very dry and covered with some dark spots, which looked like eczema.
Her maternity gown was rumpled, faded and oversized - it was clear the maternity gown was past its usage; clad on her feet were a pair of dirty bathroom slippers, which she had worn to the hospital from only God knows how far her home was.

The pregnant young girl was simply, ‘neglected’!

The midwife was full of pity for her - she heaved and shook her head while tapping her lightly again on her shoulder.

The girl became awake, yawned, stretched her body and hands up while looking towards the midwife, as she greeted, “Good morning, ma.”

The midwife smiled and nodded, “Afternoon you meant to say. We are in afternoon, dear.”

She breathed down, brought her hands down to her laps and said faintly, “Sorry, ma. Good afternoon, ma.”

The midwife smiled and answered back, “Afternoon, dear. How are you?”

She forced a smile and said while using the back of her hand to rub her eyes clear, “I’m fine, ma. Are they through with the lecture? The clinic is empty; I must have slept for long. Hmm... I'm very tired and hungry, ma.”

The midwife sat beside her and said, “The lecture? Not quite long we rounded it off. Anyways, don't worry about your lunch, dear, I'll foot the bill. But first, I'll like to know you. You should be my last daughter's age-mate; and she's just in SS 3. How come you are pregnant at this young age? So sorry if I’m embarrassing you?”

The girl looked away and bent her head in shame; tears had started dropping on her cheek when she turned to the midwife.

The midwife wrapped her arm around the girl's shoulder and placed the girl's head on her chest - she started crying and soaked the midwife's uniform with her tears.

“Stop crying, dear; there's no need crying over spilled milk. It's alright. I'll see what I can do to help you,” the midwife calmed her down and asked softly, “Are you married or what?”

The girl lifted her head from the midwife's chest, looked into her eyes and shook her head with tear-soaked eyes.

“Hmm... So you are not married? I would have been shocked if you said you were. Then, who is responsible for your pregnancy?” asked the midwife pathetically, “You should be fifteen or sixteen years old. You ought to be a student, somewhere in a school right now, not a pregnant girl in a hospital! Tell me, how did you get yourself into this pregnancy mess?”

The girl, still with tear-soaked eyes, looked up and down, shook her head repeatedly and then, breathed down heavily before saying sorrowfully, “I’m not married, ma. It's a long story, ma, but I will narrate everything to you if you lend me your ears.”

“Really?” the midwife heaved, nodded and said, “From the way you speak eloquently, I'm very sure you are..., or do I say, you were a student before you got yourself into this mess. Aren't I right?”

The girl smiled softly and nodded in agreement.

Okay then, but before you start your narration, let's go into my office so you can have your lunch.” the midwife said and made to stand up.

They got up together and walked slowly towards the midwife's office, which was just three doors away from the Antenatal Care Unit.

***************************************************************

After her food, the midwife gave her some multivitamin tablets, which she took with a glass of water - then, she asked the girl to relax a bit before she started her narration.

Moments later, she sat straight up, looked innocently into the midwife's eyes and began with a low, emotional tone...

***************************************************************

“My name is Sade Akindele. I am an SS 3 student of one of the Secondary Schools in Lagos State - sorry ma, did I just say 'I am an SS 3 student...'?”

*she sighed, shook her head and continued...*

“Really ma, I used to be one not until recently when my once promising life took a great fall like Humpty Dumpty's and ever since then, I have not been able to gather back the broken pieces of my life.

I was one of the brilliant students in my classroom and the school as a whole - I won many prizes for myself and awards for the school when I represented them in some 'school competitions' within and outside Lagos State.

I was so brilliant that everyone believed I was destined for greatness - they all said I had a very bright future.

But right now, I'm no longer sure of a future let alone a bright one; all I see now is a future fading into failure - a bleak future!

Before I got into this mess, I used to be the only child of a sick parent - I said, 'a sick parent', because my dad is dead – when he died, my mom became my 'only' parent and benefactor after then.

My dad was killed by some members of the dreaded Boko Haram Sect in First Bank, Genye Branch, Borno State, where he was working.

He was killed...”

To be continued...


SAY “NO” TO RAPE AND SEXUAL ABUSE – WALK AGAINST RAPE NIGERIA!

No comments: